This morning I was again reminded of the blessing of the light!
God’s light can never be extinguished in us unless we deliberately choose to allow it to be. Even though we may be going through a hard day (week, month, year, season) God is still right there with us every step of the way. Isn’t that an amazing feeling?!
Allow HIS light to shine into the dark corners of your day and choose happiness even when it’s not easy or natural. It will chase away the darkness 🙂
These are the days I want to store in my memory box so I never forget them. Yes they are hectic and overwhelming at times, but I keep reminding myself that all too soon they will be over and I will look back and wish I had enjoyed them a little more. So although my blog is suffering currently (I think of many things that I could write about but finding the time to do it is a different story) I am just here making memories and spending alot of time playing on the floor 🙂
Recently I have been thinking about all the things ‘Being a Mom has been teaching me…’ I had a lot of preconceived ideas and big words before having kids, and I still have high ideals about how I want my kids to grow up but sometimes its the little things that are hard to swallow and say, okay that really isn’t gonna matter in 10 years. It hasn’t always been easy but every day we keep learning 🙂 (that’s the important part right?)
- your kids actually do survive without a bath every evening (shocker right :p )
- a toy strewn living room is not actually a dirty house
- dirty dishes on the counter overnight is not gonna kill anyone (Okay I am still trying to learn this one… I HATE coming out to the kitchen in the morning with a counter full of dirty dishes) Just ask Owen :p
- there isn’t a specific laundry day, you do laundry (1) when the drawers are empty of clean clothes, (2) when its sunny, or (3) when there is a dirty outfit that you really wanted to wear… and many times you only do 1-2 loads per day and feel like you are doing laundry all week 🙂
- you discover that your whole house does not HAVE to be cleaned every week, or even all in one day (yes I hate cleaning and I’m sure there’s people that don’t agree with this one 🙂 That’s okay, I’m figuring out what works for our family) When the cleaning mood strikes I attack it viciously and we may have a clean bathroom on Monday, and a clean kitchen on Thursday. 🙂
Those are only a few of the many things I have been learning… What are things that you have learned since having kids? I’d love to hear in the comments below!
Have you ever come to the place in your life when you look back and really wish you had enjoyed ‘that’ time in your life a little more?
I have! and although I love where God has me at in life right now, it is still at times tempting to wish the kids would grow just a little faster, be at the next stage in life, be able to do just a little more on their own… and the list goes on.
But I have also learned from past experience that I will never have this chance again and if I don’t enjoy it now I will never have this opportunity again! So I am focusing on
- enjoying the moments,
- making memories,
- taking time for the little things,
- having a little more patience,
- speaking a little kinder,
- and knowing that if they don’t learn everything I am trying to teach them ‘right now’ that they will still be just fine 🙂
So that is kind of what inspired this post…
Here are a few things that I wish someone would have told me back when I was still single…
- Make God your #1 priority
- Travel (especially missionary related excursions)
- Help out a busy mom
- Save your money (check out Dave Ramsey here)
- Invest it too
- Help out at local ministries
- Enjoy the carefree days
- Never drop your life to chase after ‘him’, let him pursue you 😉
- Most of all, live your life to the fullest, with no regrets (yes that’s something you will be working on your entire life 🙂
With all that being said, yes I am happily married! And no I wouldn’t trade it for the world!
Marriage is work tho, and it will come to you at the exact time God has it planned for your life, so pining for it won’t bring it any sooner, so go enjoy each day you are given 🙂
And here are a few of my current blessings…
Have you ever read a book that was so refreshing and encouraging that you just wanted everyone to read it? I admit it has to be a pretty good book for me to get through the whole book without burning out and forgetting I was reading it. But this particular book I was sad to see that I was on the last page!
In the culture we are living in today children are looked at as a bother or a distraction. Recently I have been challenged that “Motherhood is a calling, not a job!”
I am asking God to remind me about that all the time. After all we are only given a short season with these precious souls and then they will grow up and be on their own.
What am I doing now to impact their lives and equip them to be ready to stand up and be strong warriors in God’s kingdom?
Do I just pray and ask God to help me with the ‘big’ things that I am faced with? I was really challenged in the book ‘Set-Apart Motherhood‘ that we should be praying and asking God to help with us the littlest things, potty training, home schooling, etc… He does care about them and it is amazing to see him work when we just take the time to ask him for help!
I was trying for a while to get Shania interested in learning her numbers and colors and her attention span was about a minute and she would be done and didn’t want anything to do with it anymore, so I decided I am going to start praying about it everyday and ask God to help her take an interest in colors and numbers and helping me teach it in a way that it makes sense to her and she can understand it.
In less then a week she was taking an interest in it and would bring me a handful of colors asking me what color they are, and now she is counting to 4 by herself. Talk about an excited Mom 🙂 Prayer works!
The game shown above was a Pinterest idea! I decided to find and print out flashcards with numbers on them for her. I printed out 2 sets and we play Memory with them! 🙂 Here is a link if you want to print them out as well.
So lets get to the point! Today I am GIVING AWAY a copy of Leslie Ludy’s book, “Set Apart Motherhood”
Here is a link to some of the reviews people have left about the book.
To enter this great giveaway simply follow the steps below.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
I have only just one minute,
Only sixty seconds in it.
Didn’t seek it, didn’t choose it.
But its up to me to use it.
I must suffer if i lose it.
Give account if i abuse it.
Just a tiny little minute,
But eternity is in it.
How much time do you really have?
Normally we can find time for most things that we ‘want’ to do, but when it comes to the important things and the things that really matter in God’s eyes, do you have time?
I’ve been reading the book Am I Messing Up My Kids?: …and Other Questions Every Mom Asks recently and talk about being challenged! Its a great book and offers so much encouragement for me (and you)
Heres a little bit from the book:
You may have developed bad habits of dismissing or disregarding your kids. You may have fallen victim to the worlds attitude of children being a nuisance. May I challenge you today to see your child from God’s perspective? I guarantee you will be blessed if you do!
My challenge this week is to spend time to really be there for Shania. Not just talk to her as I’m working, but stop and get down on her level and let her know that I am here for her and she is more important then any project I am currently working on.
What are your challenges this week?
Linking up with:
Have you ever had those days when you felt like you had nothing more to give?
Yesterday was one of those days for me. I felt like I was running non stop and nothing was getting done! I would try to complete this task only to walk by another task that I had mentally stored in my head ‘needs to be done today’ and then you know what happens, you decide to do that so you don’t forget it again and the next thing you know you have a whole lot of unfinished projects and its dinner time, and you forgot to thaw the veggies for dinner! Well that was me.
I tend to have a mental list of things I want to get done in a day and if I start forgetting them it frustrates me. But I have to remember God knew what He was doing when he made short term memory at the latter part of a pregnancy, as annoying as it is now I will appreciate it in a few months!
This morning I decided to spend some time reading and spending time with God instead of rushing off to get everything done first thing. I already feel better about my day!
Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow.
Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me.
All day long I put my hope in you. Psalms 25:4-5
Thank you Lord for showing me the right path if I take the time to ask you!
Here’s something I am working on remembering this week;
Becoming frustrated and mad will completely drain me and make me feel defeated. Turning my circumstances over to God will right my heart, change the way I look at the situation, and help me recognize glimpses of God in the midst of my broken efforts. ~Lysa Terkeurst – Am I Messing Up My Kids
In fact I just made a printable and am hanging it in my kitchen as a reminder throughout the day. Click on the link below if you would like the printable version for yourself as well!
Becoming Frustrated Printable
Blessings as you face the daily challenges. Remember, with God, you are never a bad Mom!
I’m linking up with:
Have you ever wondered What If?
- you woke up each morning and thanked God that you are alive?
- were thankful for the ‘freezing cold’ winter and the ‘blistering hot’ summer?
- you quit listening to the lies that say you aren’t worth anything?
- you actually believed that you are beautiful?
- you lived each day as if it was your last day?
- you treated others like you wanted to be treated?
- you looked at people through the eyes of God instead of what you can see with your eyes?
- you loved more?
- you judged less?
- you did a random act of kindness to a stranger?
- you quit worrying so much and trusted God more?
- God gave us what we deserve?
- you woke up today with what you thanked God for yesterday?
Just some thoughts worth pondering!
It kinda has a way of putting things in perspective doesn’t it?